Hey! By the way… This blog earns money via affiliate marketing – meaning that I earn commissions when you purchase a product or service after clicking a link on this site. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank YOU in advance – I really appreciate it.
In the past, people have suggested to me that I should start a keyword research service as an offering via my Dumb Passive Income blog. I’ve blogged a LOT about the benefits of keyword research and why I think it is beneficial not just for niche sites, but for other types of sites (blogs) as well. I’ve written so much about keyword research over the past year that people have started to perceive me to be a bit of an expert on the topic. I wasn’t so sure that I was an expert. I thought I was just learning as I go just like everybody else. But after reading blog posts by actual experts and even watching tutorial-type videos by experts on how to do keyword research – I realized that I know just as much as they do. I’ve learned from some of the best and I’ve applied some of that knowledge with my own experiments. I’ve gained valuable experience and people have noticed.
Which brings us back to the suggestions that people have made to me – more than one person over the past year has suggested that I start my own keyword research service. Despite the fact that I like doing keyword research and there seems to be a need in the market for a service like this – I rejected the idea for two main reasons…(share the content to see my lame excuses for not wanting to provide this service) [blur]
- I didn’t see myself as credible. Yes – I had success ranking keywords on this blog and creating profit from doing so. But – I didn’t have a whole lot of success ranking keywords for niche sites and I wasn’t currently pulling in big bucks every month from my crazy niche site success. People tend to give more credibility to people who claim to be making the most money. I was not this person.
- Income from a service is not passive income. The entire premise of this blog is to show others how I am creating passive income. Providing a service means I will be trading my time for a pre-determined amount of money. This is known as active income, and is not my overall goal. I actually have a pretty good justification for this and an explanation for how it can lead to more passive income (keep reading).[/blur]
Using Active Income to Increase Passive Income
Since the focus of this blog is to show everybody what I am doing to create passive income online, I feel that I owe a bit of an explanation as to why I am creating a service which will bring in active income. I’ve already covered why briefly in my October 2013 income report, but I will explain again right here. Basically, it’s because I like doing one thing and I am good at it and I don’t like doing another thing – which is holding back my efforts to create passive income via niche websites.
I like doing keyword research! Everybody who builds niche websites knows that keyword research is by far the most important step. Even before acquiring Long Tail Pro (affiliate link), keyword research was really enjoyable to me. Although I wasn’t very good at it back then, I really enjoyed the process. Now that I’ve been using Long Tail Pro (with the Platinum upgrade) for over a year, I like doing keyword research even more! And now I am pretty good at it too. Using the best keyword research tool on the market certainly hasn’t hurt – combined with the fact that a year of experimenting with ranking different levels of keywords has provided me with some invaluable knowledge and insight.
I don’t like building backlinks. The more profitable keywords that I tend to go after when building out niche websites don’t exactly rank quickly or quite as easily without manually building backlinks. I’ve tried several different strategies and methods to build backlinks myself – but find that I am unwilling or unable to keep up with it and I just plain don’t like doing it. Building backlinks to niche sites certainly does help them rank higher and more quickly. Unfortunately, I tend to direct more of my time towards doing things that I like and less of my time towards doing things that I don’t like.
And here is my bright idea. I can use some of the income that I create by selling my keyword research services to pay for services from other people to help me build backlinks to my niche sites! This idea was actually born when Jon Haver asked me to help him out with some keyword research recently. Knowing that his expertise is in finding and building out expired domains, I agreed to provide him with the research if he would provide me with a few relevant expired domains for one of my niche sites. He was extremely satisfied with the results that I provided for him. Likewise, I was very happy with the expired domains that he found for me.
Knowing that my possibilities were limited if I just planned to keep trading services, I decided to offer my services publicly. This way, I can provide value to others by sharing my keyword research expertise while at the same time bringing in some extra money. My plan is to use some of that money to try out some backlinking services. I like to help out entrepreneurs who are in similar phases of their businesses as I am, as mentioned in a recent podcast episode by The Empire Flippers. For this reason, two services that are on the top of my radar are:
- A Done For You PRIVATE Blog Network – by Jon Haver from AuthorityWebsiteIncome.com
- A Link Building Service – by Tung Tran from CloudLivingJourney.com
Don’t Like Doing Keyword Research?
Is keyword research something that you don’t like to do? Maybe you’re not good at it, you don’t understand it, it takes too much of your precious time, or maybe you don’t even know how you would benefit from it. Perhaps you should do what I am doing and stick to what you know and what you like. I’m not saying you necessarily have to start your own service. But, you could pay others to do the things that are holding you back. Maybe keyword research is that thing for you. After all, knowing which keywords to target and exactly how to target them is key to ranking in Google. This is how you get that elusive targeted traffic that is sure to make your site more profitable.
As long as Google is selling advertising to their customers based on keywords through the Adwords platform, keyword research will always be relevant to those of us who are trying to make money with websites. In other words, keyword research isn’t going away anytime soon. Following all of Googles updates and the latest trends in SEO is something that I enjoy and do. I’m always willing to share my general knowledge with you for free on the blog – but now I am opening up my services to share specific knowledge with you based on your needs. This is where my Keyword Research Service comes in!
Who Would Benefit by Using the Keyword Research Service that I Offer?
Almost anybody who has a website and wants to get “free” traffic from Google, or other search engines, will benefit. Listed below are a few different types of sites, the challenges that they face and how they could benefit…
- Niche Sites – Most people who build these know how important keyword research is, especially for the main keyword. Some overlook the importance of secondary keywords and how to use them. Others struggle to come up with topics or ideas to start with. Beginners, especially, have a hard time knowing exactly how to insert keywords into their articles for best SEO practices. My service covers all of this! I have tactics for generating ideas to start with, which leads to main keywords and tons of secondary keywords. Within the report that I deliver, I offer as a FREE bonus advice on how to use those keywords for best SEO along with other useful information relevant to niche site builders.
- Blogs – I especially think that bloggers are the biggest group of website producers who ignore keyword research and could be benefiting from the use of it – especially given the current state of Google. I’ve tried to target bloggers by writing posts that specifically show exactly why bloggers should be using keyword research. My intent was to try to get them to do the keyword research themselves. But, it seems that I haven’t been able to attract that audience on this blog yet. That, or they just aren’t interested in learning how to do proper keyword research. This is where I can help! By their nature, blogs are ranking highly in Google right now for search terms without even trying! Most bloggers probably have no idea what keywords they are currently ranking for or what they should be doing to purposely rank for certain keywords. I can help with all of this as part of my service.
- [Local] Business Websites – local SEO sometimes provides some of the easiest keywords to rank for, but at the same time provides a challenge as to finding keywords with any search volume. These are sometimes the most fun for me to research! I would love to help your business rank for certain keywords, whether it be worldwide, nationally or even for a local business.
Remember that there are several dumb ways to create passive income online, but only one site that is blogging about it! Dumb Passive Income… dot com.
Image: “The Fallingstar Light Bulb…” from Flickr by Bes Z