Hey! By the way… This blog earns money via affiliate marketing – meaning that I earn commissions when you purchase a product or service after clicking a link on this site. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank YOU in advance – I really appreciate it.
Welcome to my [Dumb] Passive Income Report! This blog is all about what I am doing to create several different passive income streams. This monthly income report details my results. I work very hard and dedicate many hours each week to working on my different online endeavors in an attempt to create passive income. So why do I consider it passive income then? Because I am not trading specified amounts of time for a predetermined amount of money like I do at my day job. Most of the income you will see in this report results from work I have done in the past.
Why am I sharing my income publicly? Hopefully to gain credibility with you (the readers) and to maintain a certain degree of accountability for myself. I could blog all day long about what I am doing to create passive income online, including some of my unique strategies. But why would anybody trust me and believe that what I am doing works if I don’t prove it by sharing my results? This is what I mean by gaining credibility and this is one of the main purposes for sharing my income. I also share my failures on the blog, which holds me accountable. Knowing that I will be publishing a monthly income report will keep me motivated to keep pushing forward and plugging away on the things I need to do to create future passive income.
Happenings in October
A couple of cool and interesting things happened in October. Number one – I finally managed to get some content creation outsourced for very cheap. I did this as part of an experiment. I knew others were successfully getting content written for about $2 per article and I wanted to see if I could do the same. I also wanted to see for myself how the quality of these articles turned out. I was pleased and I definitely plan to utilize this strategy again.
Around the middle of October, Jon Haver (from Authority Website Income) contacted me with a request. He was thinking of starting up a new case study where he builds out a niche site using done-for-you services and putting in as little of his own time as possible. He knew that keyword research was kind of my thing, so he asked if I would be interested in doing the keyword research for the site. He already had the niche and the domain and he wanted to pay me to do extensive keyword research to find topics to have articles written on. I didn’t accept payment, but I did the research in exchange for some help with finding a few expired domains – which is Jon’s expertise.
Long story short – this service exchange led me to launch something I had been thinking about doing anyway. A completely done-for-you Keyword Research Service offered by me. I beta tested my service by offering it at a deeply discounted rate to subscribers of my e-mail list only (sign up here or over there —–> in the sidebar). I got some really good feedback and plan to open up the service to the public real soon. By the time you are reading this, it may already be available.
And this is the DUMB part…
Apparently, my understanding of the term “passive income” has gone awry. Offering a service means I will be trading my time for a predetermined amount of money. This is not passive at all and is most commonly known as active income. The entire premise and goal of this blog is to show what I am doing to create passive income streams online. So what gives?! In fact, this is why I added the word [Dumb] to the title of these reports. I previously just called them, Passive Income Report for… And I also added a section below called Non-Passive Income.
Here is how I can best explain and justify what I am doing and how it will eventually lead to more passive income. If you haven’t noticed, the passive income that I’ve been able to generate from month to month isn’t all that impressive. I’ve been dabbling with building niche sites for over a year. I would say that I am really good at the keyword research now. I’m pretty good at site setup, layout and design. I’m also pretty good at either creating content myself or getting it outsourced and properly optimizing it for on-page SEO.
What I am not good at is building backlinks. I know link building is necessary to get sites to rank well in the search engines, but I’m not good at it, I don’t like doing it and it’s just too time consuming for me. For these reasons, I just don’t follow through with it. So, I have these great niche sites out there that simply aren’t ranking well because they’re not getting links.
The win-win plan…
[blur]A light bulb kind of went off for me as a result of this service being born. I figured, people are willing to pay me to do keyword research – meaning that either they don’t like doing it, they are bad at it, or it is just too time consuming for them. Sound familiar? I could take the income I create from this and use it to pay other people to do link building for me! I get paid to do something that I like and I am good at – and in turn I use some of the income from that to pay for something I don’t like and I am not good at. Win-win! Plus, the keyword research income should be more than enough to pay for outsourcing some link building – which will add to my bottom line and make these income reports look a little more impressive. Speaking of that, let’s get to the numbers![/blur]
Update: My Keyword Research Service is live and available now! Click Here to see the sales page…
Income and Expenses – October 2013
Affiliate Income from Dumb Passive Income
- $185.44 – Long Tail Pro sales via Clickbank (why it is better than the competition)
- $0 – LeadPages sales for this awesome lead generation software (I EASILY created this squeeze page with LeadPages)
- $3 – SocialADR sales (go here to learn more and access my custom 20% off coupon code)
- $5.70- Aweber signups ($1 for your first month)
- $0 – Niche Website Theme sales via JVZoo (reviewed in detail here)
- $0 – Lending Club leads via Commission Junction (exactly how to sign up explained here)
- $0 – ManageWP signups (easily manage multiple WordPress sites from one dashboard)
- $0 – Carbonite Referral (explained in detail here)
Other Income from Niche Sites, Old Blog, Article Writing…
- $35.57 – Google Adsense
- $4.88 – Yahoo! Voices for articles I wrote a long time ago
- $4.24 – Amazon Associates for sales on Amazon.com (explained in detail here)
Services by Matthew Allen
- $185 – Keyword Research Service (beta test at deeply discounted rate which I offered ONLY to people on my e-mail list)
Hosting and Domains
- $9.95 – Hostgator (how to purchase a domain and set up web hosting)
- $1.17 – GoDaddy for domain renewals and purchases
- $0 – IXWebHosting – (up to 15 separate IP’s on one hosting account!)
- $0 – NameCheap – domain purchases (expired domains)
Tools, Plugins and Themes
- $12.00 – Long Tail Platinum monthly fee (if you have Long Tail Pro – upgrade to Platinum here)
- $12.00 – Long Tail Platinum monthly fee (why I ended up with 2 subscriptions –details here)
- $19.00 – Aweber monthly fee for e-mail list management (first month trial only $1)
- $4.90 – ManageWP monthly fee for WordPress multiple site management program
- $38.00 – SocialADR fee for social bookmarking for my niche sites (proven results within this post!)
- $70.00 – to my private writer for article writing for niche sites
- $76.66 – to oDesk for article writing (how I paid only this much for 40 articles!)
- $7.96 – Paypal fees
Totals and Thoughts
Total income $423.83 minus total expenses $252.64 equals a net profit of $171.19 for October 2013!
Last month I shared three of my monetary goals for 2013. I’ve decided to leave these up on the report until the end of the year in order to hold myself accountable and track my progress.
- $100 in monthly Adsense income – I want Google paying me every single month!
- $300 in monthly Long Tail Pro affiliate sales – this tool has made too big of a difference in my internet marketing journey. I have to show others why and hopefully generate some decent affiliate income for all of my efforts.
- $1,000 total monthly income – I want to reach this for at least one month in 2013 and build on that into 2014 and the future
As you can see, I’m still not there as far as Adsense income ($35 in October). I do have one niche site that has it’s 4 main keywords ranking strongly on page 2 of Google. The main keyword has been at #11 or #12 for the past couple of weeks. With just a few strong links, that site should make it to page one and I think it has potential to be a $100/month minimum site with just Adsense.
I’m getting close with my Long Tail Pro affiliate sales. $185 is pretty respectable. I don’t know how much more I can write about the software to try to promote it. I think if I just spend the time to produce a few more instructional videos, that alone could boost my affiliate sales up above $300. C’mon Matt – let’s do it!
$1k/month in total income generated online. If all goes like I think it will, I should be able to accomplish this pretty easily in November with the launch of my Keyword Research Service. I got a number of people to pay the discounted price by offering it only to my small email list. When I go public with it, those numbers should translate to a similar percentage of people who will be willing to pay the full price. We’ll see.
Thank You for taking the time to read through my latest income report and Thank You for contributing if you have previously purchased something through one of my affiliate links! If you wish to support this site, but don’t have a need for any of my affiliate products, you could simply do your regular Amazon shopping through any of the links on this site that lead to Amazon.com. You won’t pay any extra and I will receive a small commission. Thanks so much if you do so!
Remember that there are several dumb ways to create passive income online, but only one site that is blogging about it! Dumb Passive Income… dot com.
Many of the links within this income report are indeed affiliate links. I will receive a commission if you choose to purchase after clicking through via any of these links. Thank You if you do! To your success and mine – may we all be profitable online. Good Day!