Hey! By the way… This blog earns money via affiliate marketing – meaning that I earn commissions when you purchase a product or service after clicking a link on this site. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank YOU in advance – I really appreciate it.
Welcome to my [Dumb] Passive Income Report! This blog is all about what I am doing to create several different passive income streams. This monthly income report details my results. I work very hard and dedicate many hours each week to working on my different online endeavors in an attempt to create passive income. So why do I consider it passive income then? Because I am not trading specified amounts of time for a predetermined amount of money like I do at my day job. Most of the income you will see in this report results from work I have done in the past.
Why am I sharing my income publicly? Hopefully to gain credibility with you (the readers) and to maintain a certain degree of accountability for myself. I could blog all day long about what I am doing to create passive income online, including some of my unique strategies. But why would anybody trust me and believe that what I am doing works if I don’t prove it by sharing my results? This is what I mean by gaining credibility and this is one of the main purposes for sharing my income. I also share my failures on the blog, which holds me accountable. Knowing that I will be publishing a monthly income report will keep me motivated to keep pushing forward and plugging away on the things I need to do to create future passive income.
Happenings in July
Niche Site at Night – Public Case Study
In mid July, 2014 – I announced that I would be starting a public niche site case study. My plan was to jump right in and start it right away. But then I had an unexpected setback that was going to delay me by one week. Here it is, August 9th now, and I still haven’t started the case study. In my unexpected delay post – I hinted at what I would be doing and the tools I would be using to find a niche. I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. As it turns out – things rarely go as I plan them. Even without my usual nightly distractions, I find it difficult to work on my internet stuff at night. I work much better in the morning with my hot cups of coffee. Regardless, I still plan to continue with the Niche Site at Night project. Even if all of the work isn’t exactly done at night, I’m still going to call it Niche Site at Night. I think people will resonate with the fact that they could be using their spare time at night to build a passive income stream on the side with niche sites.
Niche Sites – Adsense
As mentioned last month, my traffic and earnings on my main Adsense site are down due to the seasonal nature of the niche. Google trends show that search volume is lowest for the particular niche in the summer months and I expect traffic and earnings to pick back up throughout September and beyond. The good news is, I finally finished up my massive resource on the site which includes a clickable map and a dedicated post for each and every one of the 50 states in the U.S. This brings the total number of published posts on the site up to 74. I can’t wait to see how the improved site with the additional content performs once search volume picks back up! Given the site brought in over $1300 in Adsense in April with only 24 published posts – I’m very eager to see how it does with all the additional content.
Niche Sites – Amazon
My first good Amazon site continues to climb in the rankings and traffic is continuously increasing. Last month I averaged around 200 visitors per day. Now I am consistently seeing 350 to 400 visitors per day. Most of my Amazon earnings came from this first “good” site in July – about $232! There is still room for improvement and rankings increases for several keywords in the niche – so I definitely have not topped out for earnings with this site. In fact, as of August 8th I’ve already sold 71 items! I’m on track to shatter last months numbers!
One thing this site has done for me is it’s proven to myself that my strategy for building, ranking and monetizing a site with Amazon actually works. I’ve already finished building a couple of more sites just like it (different niches with higher priced products). I’m slowly building links to each and watching them both climb up in the rankings (still building links to the first site too). Within just a few short months, I should have several Amazon sites ranking and earning really good money.
This confidence that I am experiencing due to even just a little bit of success is what led me to start up my Niche Site at Night public case study. This blog has always been about sharing what works and what doesn’t work for me. My Amazon sites are working and I can’t wait to share my entire process with you.
When you look at my numbers below, you’ll see an extra $1,000 in income from a not so regular source. I’ve built a couple of websites for some small local businesses that are owned by some acquaintances of mine. These sites are pretty easy to build and I finally decided on a payment structure that I think is fair. I charge $500 to build the site initially and $50/month (or $500/year) to maintain the site. So – income from this venture isn’t totally passive, but the monthly (or yearly) maintenance fees at least make some of the income recurring.
I wish I could share the latest site with you – but since the client is a friend of mine I agreed to experiment with some SEO for his local business for free. I just wanted to see how easy I could rank for his local business search term. For this reason, I don’t want to share the URL and put his rankings at risk. Turns out, it is ridiculously easy to rank for this type of search term! With ONLY on-page SEO, (no links) I got him to position 15 in Google for a term that gets 260 searches per month. A term that will absolutely get him a bunch of business. I pointed just one PBN link to his homepage and it shot up to #10 in Google, before settling back down at #11. I’m currently working on pointing just a few more PBN links which should easily get it up to the very top of Google.
Although I don’t plan to actively promote this side of my business – it’s nice to know that I could pretty easily create some extra income if I went out and sold these types of services. Especially with my SEO knowledge and expertise – I could be charging a nice chunk of change for this. But instead I plan to continue focusing my efforts on building more passive income streams with niche websites.
Keyword Research Packages
My keyword research packages continue to sell out very quickly. I’m only able to get about 10 of these (or so) up for sale each month. You’ll almost never see any available when you look at my sales page. This is because there are nearly 200 people on my notify list (and growing every day). As soon as I list packages for sale, I email that list and somebody usually purchases the package within a few hours. If you want to get on that notify list, and also see the exact report that I send to buyers, simply click here and enter your email address-.
During the month of July, I decided to experiment with browsing the domain auctions over at GoDaddy to see if I could find a powerful domain to add to my PBN. It took some searching, but I ended up picking up a clean domain with PA 40 and DA 32 for only $80!
I’ve been meaning to invest in another Hoth package for quite awhile now. Towards the end of July, I logged into my account over there and almost pulled the trigger – but then remembered that I really wanted to keep my expenses down for July. I figured it could wait a few days. So – you won’t see the expense in this report, but I did buy a Hoth Platinum package in early August for $250 which will point a whole bunch of links towards one of my newer Amazon sites that is quickly climbing the rankings in Google. These links will nicely complement my SocialADR bookmarks and my PBN links and will also help to diversify my backlink profile even more.
Although this is only my second time using the Hoth to build links – I gotta say that I really love the service. The user interface and the entire experience is super easy to understand and navigate. The reports and access that you receive after your links are built go above and beyond. I will definitely be using them even more to build links to my niche sites in the future.
Income and Expenses – July 2014
Affiliate Income from Dumb Passive Income
- $307.84 – Long Tail Pro sales via Clickbank (why it is better than the competition) (how to make LTP pay for itself)
- $20.10 – LeadPages sales for this awesome lead generation software (I EASILY created this squeeze page with LeadPages)
- $2.80 – SocialADR sales (go here to learn more and access my custom 20% off coupon code)
- $5.70- Aweber signups ($1 for your first month)
- $0 – Niche Website Theme sales via JVZoo (reviewed in detail here)
- $67.00 – AmaSuite sales via JVZoo (software demonstrated in video embedded here)
- $0 – PulseHover sales via JVZoo (plugin explained within this post)
- $0 – oDesk signups via Commission Junction (how to outsource content for cheap explained here)
- $0 – Genesis framework and themes by Studiopress via ShareaSale (eleven40 Pro theme as seen on this site now)
- $0 – EasyAzon3 sales via Clickbank (I haven’t even reviewed this yet – but I would not build an Amazon site without it!)
- $0 – Long Tail Classroom via JVZoo (I don’t even promote this! Must be an upsell for something else in JVZoo)
- $62.50 – The HOTH sales (awesome link building service – they do everything for you!)
- $0 – WPEngine sales (my results after upgrading to the fastest hosting for WordPress on this blog)
Other Passive Income from Niche Sites, etc…
- $426.18 – Google Adsense (ad click revenue from niche sites)
- $18.81 – Yahoo! Voices for articles I wrote a long time ago
- $232.25 – Amazon Associates for sales on Amazon.com (explained in detail here)
Website Services by Matthew Allen
- $625 – Keyword Research Packages for Sale (why I started offering this service – explained here)
- $1000 – Website services – build simple websites for private businesses (like this one grmobilewelding.com)
- $95 – Sold one sponsored post on an old inactive blog that I own (came as a total shock to me!)
Hosting and Domains
- $4.00 – WPEngine (used coupon code for $4 for first 4 months) (why I upgraded to the best and fastest hosting for WordPress)
- $0 – Bluehost – my new favorite hosting provider for ease of use and price
- $9.95 – Hostgator – my original hosting provider – still keep for some sites
- $131.49 – GoDaddy for domain renewals and purchases
- $179.40 – IXWebHosting – renew hosting account for 1 year for my expired domains PBN
- $0 – NameCheap – domain purchases (expired domains)
Tools, Plugins and Themes
- $12.00 – Long Tail Platinum monthly fee (if you have Long Tail Pro – upgrade to Platinum here)
- $29.00 – Aweber monthly fee for e-mail list management (first month trial only $1)
- $4.90 – ManageWP monthly fee for WordPress multiple site management program
- $38.00 – SocialADR monthly fee for social bookmarking for my niche sites (proven results within this post!)
- $132 – to my private writer for article writing for niche sites
- $186.48 – to oDesk for virtual assistant(s)
- $296 – to a virtual contractor who is helping me create packages for my keyword research service
- $0 – to The HOTH for a link building package (comprehensive and completely done-for-you link building)
- $22.36 – Paypal fees
- $5.00 – Google Apps for domain email
- $23.75 – commission to broker for sponsored post deal
- $9.99 – CreateAClickableMap.com – (free tool with payment option to be able to return and edit map)
Totals and Thoughts
My $1000 payday from a client for my website services really saved my butt this month! Had it not been for that, I would have seen a significant decrease in total income. Instead, I ended up with another record month, breaking my old record by just $16! Thanks to keeping a close eye on my expenses in July and keeping them down, I was able to net a new record of over $1700. Awesome stuff man.
With my Amazon sites working, ranking and earning – I can hardly wait to get to the buying season this year in November and December. I don’t want to get too ambitious or overly excited, but I think I’m going to experience some ridiculous numbers by the end of this year that I never could have imagined even possible. Since I am an eternal optimist – I’m pretty much planning on it. 🙂
Thank You! Thank You for taking the time to read through my latest income report and Thank You for contributing if you have previously purchased something through one of my affiliate links! Many of the links within this income report are indeed affiliate links. I will receive a commission if you choose to purchase after clicking through via any of these links. Thank You if you do!
To your success and mine – may we all be profitable online. -Good Day!
Remember that there are several dumb ways to create passive income online, but only one site that is blogging about it! Dumb Passive Income… dot com.